Welcome to my blog


I've decided to blog about some of my makes - maybe inspire some more people!

By Deborah Richardson, Jul 19 2018 10:41AM

Recently a very dear friend of mine had to have emergency surgery following catastophic problems with her large intestine. This resulted in her having to wear a colostomy bag. To cheer her up I designed a simple pattern for a cover in the shape of a cat, along the lines of Pusheen, a cute anime Japanese kitty. Here are the pattern pieces I made up, with rough instructions for sewists to follow. The dotted lines on the outline of the actual colostomy bag show the difference between the colostomy bag and ileostomy bag, which has a little fold-out extension on the bottom, so for an ileostomy you need to leave the bottom open. Excuse my scrappy pencil drawing!

By Deborah Richardson, Jul 16 2018 11:26AM

So for my first blog post ever, I'll just say a few words about how this threadpainting was made. I selected a photograph that pleased me and chose which elements to stitch. The background is a piece of Habotai 8mm silk, lightly stretched onto a wooden frame, and then the basic outlines of the design that I had drawn onto tracing paper were traced onto the sil with an air-erasible pen. Those lines are then quickly drawn on with gutta, a water-soluble resist material, and allowed to dry. The main elements of the flowers are then painted with as much detail as possible, in silk paints diluted to give subtle shading. The background is painted lsat in this case as it's the darkest. The piece is ironed to set the colours then washed and dried and ironed again.

The silk is then stretched very tightly into an embroidery hoop and the colours of threads are selected and bobbins needed are wound or selected from my store as possible.

Then I start to stitch on my machine with the foot removed and feed dogs lowered. I select an order of work that reflects the depth of the design, with the furthest back stitched first. In this case that's the petals, blending the colours towards the edges, then the fluffy stamens, then the centre.

Last of all the piece is stiched stretched onto a piece of backing board, a mount to complement the colouring is cut and the whole piece placed into the frame... took me about 20 hours over 2 weeks.

By guest, Aug 23 2016 03:48PM

This is the first post in your new blog. To add another or delete this one click the Blog option on the toolbar above.

RSS Feed

Web feed